Bidding farewell to winter for the year, let us relish on Lai Paata for the last time of the season with this delightful, nutritious and comforting soup. Greens are always in demand for good health and winter is a time when you get a lot of fresh alluring greens around you like spinach, lettuce or mustard greens. I am very fond of mustard greens as evident from my old post on mustard green, “steamed lai paata parcels“.We call mustard greens as Lai paata or Lai Xaak here in Assam and Northeast and people here are very fond of these leaves, which are available fresh and in plenty during winter and are eaten in numerous ways. Now, since this is the month of February and the winter has almost left us, I thought of enjoying them to the fullest till these greens are available in the local markets near me, by preparing this wholesome and tasty green soup.
Have this creamy soup in the evening or before lunch or dinner as appetizer and I bet you’ll feel awesome. Now, note down the recipe below and give it a try.
- Mustard Greens : 4 to 6 leaves
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil : 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1 or 2 pinch
- Lemon juice : 2 tsp
- Onion(chopped) : 1 medium sized.
- Grean peas (boiled) : 1/4th cup .
- Corn flour : 2 tsp.
- Black pepper : 1/2 tsp or as per taste.
- Chop your mustard green (lai paata) leaves.
- Separate the bottom hard part of the leaves and cut them separately into small bits.
- Boil these stem bits along with the peas and keep separately.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and saute them till brown.
- Add lai paata and saute.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and saute.
- Add water, cover it and keep it for boiling.
- Turn off the flame after it has boiled and take it down to cool.
- Grind the cooled mixture into a smooth paste.
- Take the paste in a pan over low flame, add water as much you require for the desired consistency. Add green peas and corn flour and bring it to boil.
- Cook the mixture in a low flame and keep stirring.
- Add lemon juice and pepper and simmer for a minute.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.