!! Om Namah Shivay !!
Maha Shivaratri or Shivaratri has arrived finally which marks an important festival in the Hindu calendar devoted to lord Shiva or Mahadev. The devotees worship him by bathing him with milk and keeping fast for the whole day. Shivaratri is celebrated in almost every part of India and almost in the same way where devotees keep fast for the whole day to offer obeisance to Lord Shiva and break their fast with foodstuffs other than cereals like fruits, milk, sweets and vegetables. Potatoes and sweet potatoes ( Hindi : Shakarkand ) are the most important eatables during Shivaratri and it is believed that sweet potatoes are one of the favourites of Lord Shiva. Sweet potatoes and yams are consumed in different forms during this day in different cultures across many parts of India. We mostly use boiled sweet potatoes as our post fasting food, but others may also saute them with mild flavouring agents to enhance its taste. This sweet potato pulao, is quite a good option to have during our Hindu religious fasts on the lines of other Vrat or fast special food items and is a simple, easy to prepare dish with minimal ingredients which tastes delicious. Sweet potatoes and yams in spite of being rich in starch are also rich in fibers, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. So you can enjoy yummy food along with the goodness of nutrients even during your fasts with this quick & healthy recipe.
- Sweet Potatoes ( Hindi : Shakarkand ) : 2-3.
- Green peas (boiled) : 1/2 cup.
- Broccoli (diced/cut into small pieces & boiled) : 1/2 cup or as much you like.
- Green chillies : 3-4.
- Ghee or any neutral cooking oil : 1 tbsp.
- Black cumin seeds / Caraway seeds : 1/4th tsp.
- Rock salt or normal salt : to taste.
- Wash, peel and grate your sweet potatoes.
- Now, steam the grated potato slightly ( if you are not using it immediately then you may skip this step) and keep it aside.
- Heat your ghee in a pan over a low flame.
- Add the caraway seeds, slit few of the green chillies slightly and add to it.
- Add the grated potato and saute.
- Add pieces of broccoli, green peas and few more green chillies and saute.
- Add salt, mix and stir till it is cooked completely.
- Switch off the flame and bring it down.
- Your pulao is ready to be served.