Here comes a simple Sunday delight for the noodle cravers…….Just felt like quickly preparing something to feed myself and my family on a lazy Sunday morning after getting up late. I was feeling badly hungry and needed to get something done as fast as I can to satiate my hunger pangs as well as tickle the tastebuds with a little different taste. But there was only two packets of noodles lying in the shelf. So, couldn’t wait and thought of cooking those noodles with a twist since no chinese accompaniment of vinegar, soy sauce etc. were in handy or in the store. The result was this simple, homely & fully indianised ( slightly south-indianised), zesty noodles that tasted delicious. With very few ingredients, the dish turned out quite good. Cooked in pureed tomato sauce with bits of capsicum and fried onions , tempered with dry red chilli, black mustard seed, curry leaves and green chilli with some sprinkling of tomato ketchup and chilli sauce, the dish was fit for labelling as a simple yet healthy Sunday morning breakfast, albeit of course for people who like noodles. You may follow the recipe below if you like it.
- Noodles : 2 packs
- Refined vegetable oil : 2 teaspoons
- Tomatoes (pureed) : 2 big size or 3 medium sized
- Onion (chopped) : 1 big or medium sized
- Capsicum (chopped): 1 medium sized
- Green chillies: 2 whole
- Curry leaves: 7-8
- Black mustard seed: ½ teaspoon
- Dried red chilli: 1 piece
- Sugar: 1/2 teaspoon or a pinch
- Salt: to taste
- Water : 250 ml (approx.)
- Tomato ketchup: 2 teaspoonful
- Chilli sauce: 1 teaspoonful
- Heat water in a pan with little salt and few drops of oil ( to keep the strands of noodles apart ), add the noodles and cook them for about a minute or till the noodles get boiled , now drain the water from the noodles and immediately wash thoroughly under cold tap water, drain all the water completely and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoonful of refined vegetable oil in a pan.
- Add a dried red chilli and saute until it darkens .
- Sprinkle mustard seeds.
- Add 3-4 curry leaves .
- Add cut onion pieces and saute them until golden.
- Add cut capsicum and stir fry until they turn tender and soft.
- Add the pureed tomato, stir well and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste and a pinch of sugar.
- Now add tomato ketchup and mix well.
- Sprinkle chilly sauce and again mix.
- Add water, stir well and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Then add the previously cooked noodles , mix and toss them well in the cooked sauce.
- Cook for about 5 minutes with slowly tossing and mixing them.
- Take it down from the flame and serve hot with raw vegetable salad.