With the arrival of winter local markets are flooded with attractive, colourful, tempting and healthy vegetables. You have a plenty options to choose from and you are just spoilt for choice. The prices go down reasonably and you just cannot stop and end up buying everything that is on offer.
However, what will you do with them comes next to your mind. Apart from the soups and salads and the mixed vegetable curries, there are plenty of options that are available with us or comes to our mind.
One such option is my mom’s very homely, simple & easy mixed vegetable stew, which is a pleasure to have either in breakfast, lunch or dinner with steamed piping hot white rice or with fresh hot luchis or puris.
Non-vegetarians can also try this stew with mutton, chicken or egg with slight variations. The recipes will be posted sometime later.
Here is the recipe for the vegetable stew…have a look & try this out if you want.
- Ginger (finely chopped) : 1 inch piece
- Onion (chopped) : 1 large
- Green chillies : 2-3
- Black Pepper corns : 5-6 pepper corns
- Bay leaves : 1
- Clove (Half crushed or powdered) : 4-5
- Cardamom (Half crushed or powdered) : 3-4
- Cinnamon (Half crushed or powdered) : 1-2 sticks
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies : 1-2
- Vegetables (cut into pieces) : Bottle gourd, Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, french beans, tomatoes, beetroot, green peas or any other seasonal vegetables you would love to add: ( total weight 1/2 kg )
- Rice bran oil or any neutral oil : 1 tbsp
- Take all the cut vegetables in a tumbler.
- Put chopped onion, chopped ginger, green chillies, black peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon over the vegetables and spread and mix them with the vegetables well.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan.
- After the oil is hot, temper with dry red chilli.
- Pour the entire mix of vegetables on the pan and stear to mix them well.
- Put salt and sugar over it and mix .
- You may add a cup of milk or water in it if you are not using bottle gourd.
- Cook the vegetables in a low flame by turning and tossing in between until they soften.
- Alternatively,you can pour the entire vegetable mix in a pressure cooker and whistle it once.
- Your piping hot vegetable stew is ready to be served. Serve it with hot steamed rice or puris.