Jackfruit seed is a unique ingredient which can work wonders in your kitchen, be it sweets or savouries or curries. One of the simplest dish out of this is the Jackfruit seed patty or fritter, a mouth watering savoury snack for your evening tea time. Cutlets, patties, chops/croquettes, fritters or pakoras are very common in India as evening snacks. In the list, here comes yet another addition, the Kaathaal bichir ( jackfruit seed) patties with no onion, no garlic and served with my favourite pineapple chutney.
- Jackfruit Seeds ; Kaathaal Bichi (Boiled and mashed) – 1 cup
- Moong dal / Yellow Petite Lentils (Washed->fried->boiled->mashed) – 1 cup
- Spices: –
1. Roasted & Ground mixture – cumin (jeera) seeds : 2 tsp, coriander (dhaniya) seeds : 2 tsp, dried red chillies: 2, roasted and ground together.
2. Asafoetida (Heeng) – 1 tsp
3. Chaat masala – 1 tsp
4. Black salt – 1/2 tsp
- Refined flour ( Maida ) – 2 tsp
- Refined oil
For Pineapple chutney :
- Pineapple (freshly cut into pieces) – 1 small
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Cumin seeds (powdered) – 1/2 tsp
- Black salt – as required
- Sugar (required for a sour pineapple) – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli pickle ( North Indian style) – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli ( roasted and crushed) – 1
- Take the seeds and cut into halves.
- Boil the seeds in a pan with water or pressure cook upto 5 to 6 whistles or till your seeds become soft or gets boiled completely.
- Wash Moong dal and drain the water.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add the washed Moong dal and fry them a little till a mild fried aroma of dal emerges.
- Boil the fried dal in a pan with water or in a pressure cooker upto 2 whistles.
- Mash both the seeds and the Moong dal separately in two different mixing bowls to make a smooth dough so that no granules remain and keep them aside.
- Now, take the bowl of mashed seeds, add chaat masala, black salt and little amount of ground spices to it and mix it well using your hands.
- Likewise, take the bowl of mashed Moong dal, add maida, remaining portion of ground spices, Heeng and little salt and mix it well.
- Now, you have your two mixtures ready, one of the seeds and other of the Moong dal.
- Grease your palm with little oil, take a small portion of Moong dal mixture, shape it into a ball. Press gently to make a cup out of it and fill a small amount of the seeds mixture into the cup, wrap it around fully with the Moong dal mixture and make your patties shaped into ovals, rounds, cylinders or any shape of your choice and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, and deep fry the patties by gently tossing and turning in the oil in a low flame till it becomess golden brown in colour.
- Drain them over a paper towel to soak the extra oil and your hot and crispy patties are ready to munch on with an accompaniment of green salad and sauce or chutney of your choice.
For pineapple chutney:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and grind them in a blender to make a smooth paste. Your sweet and sour chutney is ready to serve.
Note : Prefer a little sour-ish pineapple for the chutney or you may add little tamarind pulp for enhancing the sourness.
Jackfruit Seed Carnival: Kaathaal Bichi Borar Payesh https://foodiestreasure.com/2018/10/05/jackfruit-seed-carnival-jackfruit-seed-dumpling-kheer-kaathaalbichi-borar-payesh/