Hi everyone !! 🙂🙂…we are back after a long time. Yuletide spirit is in the air and most of us are busy rustling up our special dishes in the kitchen for the much awaited festival. We will also come up with our Christmas special post shortly. Though this recipe may not be of much help in your christmas preparations , yet is not a bad option for this snacking season either, when you have no time and still want something quick and healthy.
The laddoos are the most favourite sweets for the average Indians for just any celebration. I would like to define laddoos as a ball of gastronomic bliss which when popped inside the mouth tantalizes and delights the senses of your taste buds. Though, mostly they are made sweet, my instantaneous urge was to make them savoury that I often do to substitute my snack time cravings. Though, a plenty crazy ideas run in my mind to bind my savoury laddoos with a variety of cheeses and to infuse flavours in them with a variety of ingredients, yet I also have the fear that my weird creations would be outright rejected by the tastebuds of others. So, I would rather play safe and at the same time make something relishing. A savoury laddoo cannot be a dull & bland tasting savoury ball after all. So, I chose chhena ( cottage cheese ) as my basic ingredient for my laddoos, infused with other ingredients for flavour and layered with a coat of healthy oat flakes.
This dish is very light and healthy, totally guilt free and a very good option for the people who are on a diet or fasting otherwise. The dairy and chhena/paneer lovers too might find it delightful.And the best thing is that you can just add any flavours or spices of your choice and be fond of your own creation.
Here is the simple and easy recipe in case you want to make it too 😊.
For preparing flavoured Chhena :
- Full fat Milk – 1 litre
- Lemon juice – 2-3 tsp
- Roasted cumin seeds powder – 1tsp
- Asafoetida (optional) – 1/2 tsp
Or Chhena / Cottage cheese – 200 gm to 250 gm
- Green chillies (Chopped) – 2-3
- Coriander leaves (Chopped) – 1 bunch
- Chaat masala – 1/2 tsp
- Oat flakes (dry roasted) – as much you like
- Salt – to taste
1. For preparing your flavoured chhena, boil the milk in a pan, add roasted cumin powder or any other flavouring agent you want to use and mix well.
2. Add lemon juice to curdle the milk. When the milk curdles fully i.e. separates from the greenish whey, switch off the flame and collect the curdled milk in a colander. Rinse under tap water to remove any traces of lemon.
3. Collect it over a muslin cloth, tie and hang for 2-3 hours to drain the water completely. You may make your chhena in advance to prepare your laddoos instantly whenever you want. For detailed preparation of chhena you may refer to my previous post,” Kheer Tua“.
Note : You may skip the step of preparing chhena if you are using ready made chhena and add the flavouring ingredients along with all other ingredients while mixing.
4. In a mixing bowl, take your chhena, knead it slightly, add all the remaining ingredients (chopped green chilli & coriander leaves, chaat masala, salt) and mix well to make a dough.
5. Take small portions of the dough and roll them into small balls or laddoos.
6. Rub with instantly dry roasted oats to coat them well and serve fresh.
Note : Use only freshly roasted oat flakes to enjoy that crunchy bite.
Stay healthy, stay fit & keep on exploring the treasure of flavours with foodiestreasure😊
2 Comments Add yours
Wow! What an innovative recipe! I will definitely try this, thanks for the inspiration.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Many Thanks !!!😊
LikeLiked by 1 person