The continued consternation of COVID-19 has made our lives so much dreary and frustrating that we all need to do something new and exciting everyday in order to keep our spirits alive and keep ourselves going. These sweet and sour ice pops are amazing for giving a boost to your mood & savouring those fun filled moments. I made these just to get rid of the monotony which is prevailing everywhere around us nowadays. These ice pops are actually inspired from the Bengali Kaacha Aamer Tok (raw mango chutney) which is a relishing and regular meal accompaniment of Bengali households during summer days.
The flavour of these ice lollies reminds me of my childhood days, when my mom always used to cajole me into having sweet chutneys, since as a child I was never fond of all these chutneys. I wish if she too could have made her sweet chutneys into ice pops then😊. They are just perfect to indulge your kids into having some healthy stuff with a bit of fun thrown in and I am sure they will be more than happy and lured. Do try it once and create your own memories to treasure for the lifetime.
- Raw (green) mango – 4 ( medium size)
- Sugar – 3-4 tbsp.
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp.
- Black mustard or mustard seeds ( slightly roasted and half crushed ) – 1/2 tsp.
- Roasted cumin seeds powder -1/2 tsp
- Salt -1/2 tsp
- Water -3-4 cups
( Note : Amount of sugar and salt can be adjusted as per your taste or as per the amount of sourness of raw mangoes. )
- Wash your green mangoes.
- Roast them over a char grill or a tawa over a medium flame.
- Remove from flame and let it cool.
- Remove the charred/burnt skin from the mangoes and keep them aside.
- Take water in a pan, add the mangoes along with ½ tsp. chaat masala, roasted cumin seed powder and roasted mustard seeds powder and bring them to boil by stirring in the mixture.
- When the mango pulp separates from the seed, add sugar, salt & the remaining chaat masala, mix and cook for few minutes more by stirring, till the sugar melts completely.
- You may add little water if you find the mixture thicker.
- Bring down from the flame and let it cool.
- Remove the seeds and strain the mixture.
- Blend the mixture to a smooth consistency.
- Pour the mixture in your moulds and put in the freezer.
- Wait till your sweet and sour ice pops are ready to be slurped upon.😋😋