With this first post of 2020, wishing you all a very Happy,Prosperous & Healthy New Year !! Hope this new year will bring more tasty surprises for you & your family 🙂🙂..
A hot bowl of creamy soup is all you need in a chilling winter night which can be the healthiest way to make youself happy with a healthful treat. Soups are always our first choice when we look for something simple, light, yummy and of course healthy. There are a lot number of varieties in soups, in fact there are no limits to the ways that you can prepare your soup with anything available in your kitchen in any season. Though we frequently have packaged soups that are available in the market , yet I love my own home made soups with readily available ingredients like the seasonal veggies especially during the winter, when you have ample choices for your culinary experiments. However this time, I have chosen Arum for making my soup which are usually available in the rainy season and are not very common during the winter, but it can be found throughout the season in this region of the country. Arum/colocasia have multitude of health benefits like being gut friendly, rich in fibers, vitamins, minerals & antioxidants. Though Arum doesn’t have any flavour of its own , yet it has a creaminess and a starchiness of its own and is loaded with other beneficial nutrients which makes it a perfect candidate for your soup. This soup is quite filling and you can substitute a meal with this, especially if you are on a diet.
So, let us warm up our winter evenings this time with this appetizing and delicious soup at home….What say you??
1) Arum/Colocasia/ Kochu/ Arbi -200 to 250 g
2) Pumpkin – A small piece (boiled)
3) Onion (chopped)
4) Corns – Boiled
5) Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tsp.
6) Pepper – 1/2 tsp.
7) Butter – 1 tsp.
8) Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
9) Salt to taste.
10) Any neutral oil – 1/2 tsp.
1) Wash your arum nicely, peel & cut it into pieces.
2) Now, boil the pieces in a pressure cooker or in a pan with little salt. Boil it properly to get soft pieces that can be easily mashed.
3) Switch off the flame, take out the pieces of arum and drain the water completely.
4) In a bowl, mash the pieces of arum along with the pumpkin piece and keep it aside.
5) Heat oil in a pan, take the cumin seeds in a small tea strainer and immerse it in the oil to splatter and release its flavour in the oil. After the seeds turn dark, remove the strainer and add chopped onion in the oil. Fry them until light brown.
6) Remove from flame and pour the mixture over the arum mash and mix.
7) Add some water to slightly loosen the consistency and put them in a blender to get a smooth creamy mixture.
8) Pour the whole mixture in a pan, add water as much you require. Add corns, salt, pepper and bring the mixture to boil.
9) Add butter and lemon juice and simmer for 2 minutes.
10) Your hot, creamy soup is ready to be served. You may also garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves if you like.
Have a hearty soup and enjoy the chills !!!😊