Summer calls for quenching your thirst and drinking all kinds of coolants, drinks or beverages, which are tempting, soothing, colourful, flavourful as well as tasty, giving us a fresh lease of life in the scorching heat. Bael panna is one such drink among the innumerous refreshing drinks and is also one of the oldest traditional drinks in India having ayurvedic significance. It is a wonderful detox drink that cools you down, soothes your nerves, rejuvenates, cleanses and nourishes your body with all its nutrients which is commonly drunken after breaking fasts in Indian religious festivals or occasions, especially during the festival of Maha Shivaratri. It is very easily digestible and is a excellent summer coolant.
The Bael fruit or Wood apple is a healthy fruit of immense medicinal value and is given due importance in Ayurveda. Having digestive and anti-flatulence properties, it is widely used to treat many gastrointestinal disorders like diarrhea, dysentery etc. and also helps in healing gastric ulcers. The dried and powdered fruit pulp is also used to treat diarrhea and helps in preventing constipation too. It is known to produce insulin that controls blood sugar level and thus is an anti-diabetic. It also helps in controlling blood Cholesterol, controls lung infections. It has anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-helmintic properties. The pulp of Bael inhibits the proliferation of tumour cells and is ideal for treating any kind of inflammations. This fruit is loaded with potential anti-oxidants that help in stopping or limiting damage to our body caused by free radicals.
This wonder drink is very simple and easy to prepare. All you need to do is just scrape out the pulp from the hard-shelled fruit and prepare your drink with this wonder fruit as described underneath :
- Bael fruit/ Wood apple/ Stone apple : 2 whole.
- Jaggery (finely crushed): 1-2 tbsp/ as per requirement.
- Water : 3 cups or as much required.
- Ice cubes (optional): 5 to 6 or few.
- Take the whole fruit, break it open.
- Take/scrape out the pulp from inside the fruit.
- Take the scraped pulp over a strainer with a vessel below and mash it with your hand and rub it along with little water to collect the smooth , homogenized pulp, add water to it & then mix nicely.
- Add finely ground jaggery to it and stir well to mix everything.
- If you want it chilled, add a few cubes of ice to it.
- Pour into glasses and serve to gulp in.
Note: You may also do it at one go by removing the seeds from your scraped out pulp, add everything, mix in a blender and strain it to serve.